* Cassarole dish in this picture is 14 inch for 10 large russet potatoes, so I apportioned the rest of the ingredients as per the ratio according to the potatoes.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 pax
Casserole Dish : 8 inch x 8 inch
6 large russet potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp whole grain mustard (can use Dijon if you like)
250gm bacon (optional)
150gm cheddar Cheese (for topping)
50gm parmesan Cheese
2 tsp salt (or adjust to taste)
1 tsp pepper (or adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I use fresh nutmeg so I will grate that in)
1. Peel potatoes and slice them thinly. Use a mandoline for even slices.
2. Soak in salted water and drain them well before laying them on an oiled/buttered casserole dish. Line it layer by layer.
(OR : Blenched them in hot boiling water until partially cooked them. Immediately soak in cold water to stop cooking process. Drain them well before laying them out on casserole dish) I don’t usually do this step as it can get too mushy.
3. (Optional) Cut bacon into bacon bits and fry them until crispy. Scatter them all around the potatoes after they are laid out on the casserole dish.
5. In a separate bowl, add cream, sour cream, mustard and parmesan cheese and mix well.
6. Grate in 2 cloves of garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and mix well.
7. Pour in cream mixture evenly.
8. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.
9. Cover with aluminum foil and bake.
10. Bake with foil 150C – 40mins (if did not blanch potatoes) then remove foil and bake for another 10 mins until the top is golden brown.
Bake without foil – 120C -30mins
Serve hot! Enjoy!
NB: Depending on your oven, you may want to check by using a fork to poke through the potatoes to see if it is cooked.