Kaya or better known as coconut jam is one of our Asian staples. There are many versions of kaya but here is one which was passed down to me by my mother.
INGREDIENTS – Makes 8 tubs of 200gm
1 Kg Sugar
650 gm Coconut Milk
5 pcs Pandan leaves
METHOD – Using double broiler method. You can use direct heat but need to be there at all times to stir.
1. Whisk all 10 eggs in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in 1Kg of sugar and whisk until mixture is well mix and light in colour. Place mixing bowl on top of a pot of boiling water (Double boiler method).
3. Put in the pandan leaves then add in the coconut milk. Stir mixture continuously.
4. Continue stiring. It will be foamy but not to worry.
5. Mixture will turn slightly brownish green.
6. Stir until mixturevturns to a sticky paste. For double boiler method, it will be within 1 hour or so for it to be done.
7. Set aside to cool then ladle it into individual tubs.